Oh my gosh that's so funny that you just posted that! It's definitely helpful with what we decided to do.
We actually did a big overhaul of the tree today and started rebuilding it using PVC. I pulled all the ash branches out, pulled out more than 50% of the foam, created a little depth with foam and started adding "roots". I still have lots to do with cutting/bending/adding PVC branches (and this will not be how they are positioned, I just haven't fastened them yet). We will also add some rope roots and branches, and will still use some of the ash branches (sealed with DryLock) to flesh out what will be the tree. Then, we will use plastic tubing, silicone, peat, and floral foam to run the irrigation up through the tree to keep it moist.
Again, this pic is not the best... the PVC branches aren't done, aren't placed where I want them.... lots to do. But it's a "progress" shot.