The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Pictures Of Your Sumps
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
jmsaltfish797
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default sump design

my sump is a fairly simple diy project. i took a 15 gal tall and siliconed in two pieces of glass and used a light diffuser panel from home depot. the main filter chamber has a piece of glass that runs top to bottom with a inch and a half gap at the bottom. i then siliconed in a few short pieces of pvc to raise the diffuser panels off the bottom. i filled said chamber with about five gallons worth of bio balls, and topped it off with a few sheets of filter floss to screen out big chunks. i then added a baffle in between the filter chamber and the return pump area. i sized it to fit a foam filter from the large aqua clear hang on filters, along with other types of media(phosphate sponge, etc...). my sump handles a heavily plant, somewhat overstocked tank no problem. all i have to do is clean and replace the filter floss every few months. other then that it is practically a no maintenance filter system. total price with return pump and hang on over flow(glass tank) was a little over $100 total, that includes having glass custom cut. i hope this helps you on your project.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG0372.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	58572  

jmsaltfish797 is online now   Reply With Quote