Thread: BG Algae Help
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD3557 View Post
Starting to see a small amount of cyanobacteria in my 55G planted. Curious to see if anyone has had any luck with 2 x dosing Excel to fix this (I can't seem to find a difinitive answer on this). Also, I still have a bottle of API Algaefix (would this have any impact on the cyanobacteria?). I'm thinking that the cause was an open window for a week (it was getting hit with direct sunlight for 2-3 hours a day =(. I've since closed the blinds and the tank is now receiving a photoperiod of 8 hours a day (2 x 48" T5NO 28w bulbs).

Also, I've read that BG algae doesn't do well where there are high levels of movement/circulation. The odd thing is that I'm seeing it grow on the leaves/rhizomes of my Java Ferns (where they're clearly getting movement). Anyways, I could really use some help guys (I'm still a newbie).
Hi RD3557,

I have not found dosing of Excel / glutaraldehyde at 2X dosage to have any effect on BGA and in my tank it seemed to grow just fine in areas of high current.

Here is what worked for me; basically treat the cause by getting my nitrate (NO3) up and treat with Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2).

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote