The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - DIY Sump for 150 gallon tank
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:16 AM   #1
AKnickolai
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default DIY Sump for 150 gallon tank

I have been debating how I want to filter a 150 gallon tank that I am setting up, and I have decided to try a sump style filter. It was either this or have some Frankenstein set up involving multiple canisters and powerbeads, which just seams to clutter the tank. I plan on using an old 29 gallon tank and will have the required glass baffles cut buy a local glass shop, then I will silicone them in place. I've attached a sketch of what I am proposing because I know some of you out there have built your own sump filters out there. I did design it so that if any "stage" clogged it would just overflow and bypass that stage, it is basically a wet/dry with much more mechanical filtration than a store bought unit and I still have a 12inx12in box at the end to house my main sump pump, some titanium heaters and a power head for a CO2 reactor. The cover will be made of acrylic since it is easier for me to drill and I may go through some trial and error with those penetrations. Pump will be sized to provide ~1000gph working flow to the tank. Any thoughts on what I am missing or suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	58416  

AKnickolai is offline   Reply With Quote