The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - How to deal with tank sabotage, the story of the destruction of my main tank.
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 PM   #26
zergling
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

Sorry to hear about what happened Carlos! Wish you and your family the best in your move.

As for quitting the hobby, I'm sure everyone will tell you not to do that. They are, for the most part, correct - why quit a hobby when the grief was caused by the landlord?

However, I have a slightly different opinion....

Hobbies are supposed to use up your time (and money ) and return happiness in exchange. When this is not happening (regardless of it being directly or indirectly due to the hobby itself), sometimes it can be good to step away and spend a little time away from it. This lets you do other things and "get some perspective". The great thing about the aquarium hobby is that the itch will eventually come back. Anywhere from a few days to a few years. When that itch comes, you will be able to go back in to the hobby with a different frame of mind -- a more experienced one at that, as you've already had time to think about what the hobby means to you and where its boundaries are.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that an aquarium is a very good way for you to bond with your son later on, if he develops an interest in the hobby. I know I always "blame" my dad for having so many tanks in the house when I was growing up

Last edited by zergling; 12-05-2012 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: edit...
zergling is offline   Reply With Quote