The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Stocking Help 180 Gallon (Updated)
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #19
tomfromstlouis
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I do not have much experience with most of the fish on your list, but my initial response is to consider larger groups of fewer species. I have a school of 44 rummynose tetras and they have changed my definition of what constitutes a "school". In a tank this size I would consider anything under 12-15 individuals an experiment which you later fix by buying more or taking them out. A real school in this tank would have 20-25 individuals IMO. Exception: the discus or other large center piece fish.

So in your case I would get more of or eliminate the loaches, cats, otos, rasboras. The kribs and rams are not schoolers and are special cases, but again I would consider just one or two of the three you list.

Why? This may be personal preference, but I find the overall scene more peaceful with fewer species. The view is less of a jumble and more of a coherent environment. Watch any underwater video short of a coral reef and you will see what I mean.

How's this list?
15-20 sterbai cats
25 lemon tetras
12-15 otos
15-20 harlequins
6 discus (same color)
one or two pair kribs/rams

Just my thoughts and probably worth what you paid for them....
RAOK Club #76

220g altum, 75g high tech, 6g shrimp: one office, three tanks http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=183658
tomfromstlouis is offline   Reply With Quote