The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Coach's 29 Gallon - Cichlid Restart (Post #68)
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #35
CAM6467
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I'm thinking that a substantial WC is in order for tonight. The water is still pretty milkish, and I'm hoping that it's just part of the process. I don't remember having any issues at all with my 10g using eco-complete. I'm certain that after a 90% WC, I'll have better clarity. It may take a few major WCs, but I'll get what I'm after before too long.

Here's a shot of the tank prior to the WC:

And again after adding fresh, new water:

The java fern rock is in its final resting place, hiding the xp1's intake. Hopefully those ferns will grow larger enough to take over that entire corner.

Here are some ideas that I've come up with for the aquascape here:
  • The back-left corner is reserved for a sword of some type. I'm thinking red melon or perhaps a kleiner bar. I'm basically envisioning something with some pop taking up much of that back corner.
  • Just to the right of the proposed sword just mentioned, I'm seeing some lobelia cardinalis bunched up in a tight group.
  • Just to the right of the lobelia patch, I'm thinking that a nice red tiger lotus would look good.
  • The area between that nice chunk of petrified wood and the front glass is reserved for my ground cover plant. I'm considering lilaeopsis brasiliensis. I would like for that area to become dominated by that carpet style plant. I've seen it in others' tanks and it is pretty nice.
  • The anubias nana that I already have in place are looking pretty nice, IMO. That being said, I think that I want to get some more to try to cover as much of the low lying manzi as I can.
  • I want to put some christmas moss or fissidens on the upper reaches of the manzi branches here and there to create a more natural look.
  • The far right-front corner is intended for some cryptocoryne parva or some dwarf sag. I don't know, I just want something that stays about 3-4" high and makes something of a little bush.

As you may have noticed, I'm trying to stay away from the stem plants for now as I have grown to despise the constant, never ending trimming that comes with those plants. However, I am fond of the rotala family and may have to make some changes in my philosophy once that bug bites hard enough!

As always, comments/suggestions/complaints/critiques are ALWAYS welcome and rather enjoyed!!

Charlie
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
CAM6467 is offline   Reply With Quote