The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Want to set up a low-tech planted tank
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Betta132
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Want to set up a low-tech planted tank

Hi! I currently have a 20g tank stocked with a decent school each of zebra danios and cories, as well as 3 ghost shrimp, two female bettas, and a male swordtail. It has a tiny swordplant in it, a sponge filter, and the light that came with the tank. So, all in all, it's a mess.
I want to turn it into a low-tech planted tank, and may get a larger tank over Christmas. I have some dry compost, with no manure, and was thinking of mixing it with black sand for substrate. Will this work? I tested to make sure the soil won't turn the tank into a cesspool.
I will be dosing with Flourite Excel, but I still need plants that aren't high-demand. I may get a better light, but I'm not sure. What plants like medium-ish light and no extra fertilizer? I must note that our water is rock-hard, but we have a softener, so it's not too hard.
I will definitely have java fern and java moss, possibly swordplants or peacock moss. Any other suggestions? Tips? Size of tank that will fit on a 24" by 14" stand?
My adventures in keeping Indostomus crocodilus, the crocodile toothpick fish. AKA armored stickleback, paradox fish, and freshwater pipefish. Care is (to the best of my knowledge) exactly the same as Indostomus paradoxus.
Betta132 is online now   Reply With Quote