The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - BarrReport post i wanted to share
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 04:55 AM   #27
ua hua
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (50/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
I have one client who has about 10% per day done on automation, generally about 1 hour after the lights come on, then doses CO2 and Excel....as a back up.

The Dosing tanks are 2 x 5 gallons and then 2 x 2.5 Gal back ups.
Carbon block for the tap.

This system has run for about 2 years now.

I come about once every 4-6 months and trim the tank. It's never had any algae issues nor was cleaned. Just fed the fish, algae magnet the front glass once every month or so.

Not bad.

I tend to do my water changes large and frequent in the morning maybe 1 hour after the lights come on. Add ferts back right away etc.
Mad pearling later at night.

This pearling is not on the glass, heater or any other equipment/non live material.
I can easily fluff the bubbles off about 1 hour after the water change and they do not come back(these are degassing bubbles due to high pressure and temp).
At higher pressure and lower temp, the CO2 is higher than at ambient.

If you take this tap water and let it sit for a few minutes, warm up and depressurize........ the CO2 and O2 will escape.
Same for the aquarium.

I think perhaps Ole's work with gas films might apply a bit, it would increase the rates. If you doubt that water changes influence growth rates in your aquarium: a simple test: do water changes daily about 1 hour after the lights come on, say 40-50%. Do this for 1-2 weeks and then do do ANY for 1-2 weeks. See what you think. One day may be hard to tell the differences.

O2 meter does not lie as far as plant growth near the end of the day. It's always higher the day of the water change.
Since I do the water change early on, then 6-7 hours later, the O2 reading is taken.........a direct relationship with the tap is not likely, I also have wet/dry filters which should remove some of the excesses/degassing from the tap, leaving mostly only plant growth production left.

7. Bacterial and periphyton films. As these are exposed to air during the water changes, or high rates of micro bubbles and dissolved air/gases etc..........the bubbles will adhere. They will provide these films with brief high levels of O2, increasing respiration. Some of the surface tension will stick and pull off a lot of these films on plant leaves....... leaving a cleaner plant leaf behind. In the next few hours, the leaves will be recolonized again. This reduces the barrier and increases the Flux across the leaf for nutrients and CO2, light etc.

This may tie into the CO2 mist Hypothesis effect, the mist itself may be doing a cleaning action on the plant leaves.
A water change may also do a very similar thing.
That is a very interesting and thought provoking theory Tom. I really never thought of the high amounts of dissolved air/gasses adhere to surfaces and pulling off films that could/would lead to algae. Makes sense that the plants we keep(most of which are not constantly submersed) would benefit from being exposed to the air on a regular basis. The huge weekly water change has always been a part of my aquarium maintence routine, as that is what I did when I kept reef tanks and that is what my dad did 25+ years ago when he was breeding fish. People need to start to understand the importance of constantly adding clean/new water to an enclosed system.

I change the water in my tank closer to lights out because that is the only time I can do it is after the kids go to bed. I do see an increase in pearling a couple hours after water change but it's lights out about 3 hours after I get done with the water change. So is it to be expected that it would be more beneficial to do water changes early in the light cycle versus later.

The CO2 mist hypothesis is making me think about running my CO2 straight from my needle wheel back into the tank again but I can't get used to the millions of bubbles. I get a quite a few micro bubbles in the tank now just by having the reactor return pointed at the main return pump but nowhere close to when it was being fed into the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Lots of magic in fresh water isn't there. Plants pearl, fish spawn, life is sustained. You don't have to hit me in the head with a brick that says "Do a water change"
Some people you do have to hit it the head with a brick. It doesn't work just to tap people on the shoulder anymore to get their attention.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death life is only a dream which is an imagination of ourselves. Bill Hicks
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ua hua's 90 gal. high tech
ua hua's 5,000 gal. water garden
ua hua is offline   Reply With Quote