The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Calling all DIY LED "Junkies" - Your opinions wanted!
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:36 PM   #134
O2surplus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblondskeleton View Post
Soooooo... Stop me if I'm wrong here... I could wire one string through two cats (as in your diagram for skanderson) to increase the output (for some reason the light seems dim, my glosso is reflecting that fact - need a bit more light) and use sink's code to control it, if I run them through 8 and 9? I certainly don't want to burn anything out, so no touchy for me until I understand this better. However, this would let me boost the WW a bit, too. It's looking a little cool for my taste. Oh, tinkering. I do believe I will never stop
Whoa! Unless your running Cree XM-L's don't attempt to wire up your leds like Skanderson is doing. Your particular leds will not be able to handle the additional current. Have you checked the actual current consumed by your strings? The Cat4101's should be putting out 1000ma if the pots are maxed out. If they're not at 1000ma with the pots maxed then there's another possible reason. The "6 channel code" has the PWM value set at 100, which equates to about 300ma through the leds. Change the 100 to a max of 255 and recheck the current. It should now be at 1000ma and your leds should be a heck of a lot brighter. If you'd like to use "Sinks" code, connect the Cats to digital pins #9 & 10. His code uses PWM values between 0 - 1023. 1023 being Maximum.

Here's the section of the 6 channel code that needs to be modified-

Code:
int oneMax = 255;           // max intensity for this channel. Change if you want to limit max intensity.

int twoMax = 255;           // max intensity for this channel. Change if you want to limit max intensity. 

int threeMax = 255;         // max intensity for this channel. Change if you want to limit max intensity.

int fourMax = 255;          // max intensity for this channel. Change if you want to limit max intensity.

int fiveMax = 255;          // max intensity for this channel. Change if you want to limit max intensity.

int sixMax = 255;           // max intensity for this channel. Change if you want to limit max intensity.
Here's the section of "Sink's" code that has the variables for Max & Min led PWM values.
Code:
/*
 * Light "state" represents the PWM duty cycle for each channel This normally
 * dictates light intensity. It is an array { duty_chan_1, duty_chan_2 }.
 * Possible values for duty cycle are 0 - 1023.
 */
const int kDayState[] = { 1023,1023 }; // daytime LED state
const int kNightState[] = { 0, 0 }; // nighttime LED state
You can always lower the max value of one of the channels to alter the color mix of your lighting. E.g. Run your WW leds at max (1023) and the CW leds at a lower level, say (700). Your lighting will then appear "Warmer".(You can also get the same effect by adjusting the pots on the driver board, if you don't want to mess with the code.Just make sure that the code is set for the maximum PWM value first, so that you can override it with the pot adjustment.)
You can also adjust the KnightState value to a number above 0 to emulate moon lights. Remember 0 = Off, 1 = 1/10 of 1%, and 10= 1% duty cycle.
225 Gal, Glass "Reef Ready" w/ twin Iwaki Pumps & 2 Ocean Clear inline filters. Custom 320 watt LED Lighting system utilizing a 6' Maker's Heat Sink, 12 BridgeLux Vero 18's,3 purpose built 5 channel A6211 Led driver/Controllers,iAqua Aquarium Controller , and a 20lb CO2 system w/ Milwaukee Ph Controller.
O2surplus is online now   Reply With Quote