The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 30B Build for West African Riparium Biotope Input Needed
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 AM   #11
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (138/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Thanks hydrophyte. I've aquired several different species of Anubias at this point, but would like to come up with some of the A. nano. I also have to find some B. heudelotii. I could do a lid, but tall isn't an option for this tank due to where it is located.
A. hastifolia and similar big, arrowhead-leaf Anubias might do OK in an open-top setup.

A. barteri really hates dry air and its leaves will brown around the edges unless you keep it in high humidity.

I can probably think of a few other suitable more or less representative plants for a West Africa-themed riparium. I'm sure that various Cyperus occur there--there are hundreds of species in this genus all over the world--so you could incorporate some Cyperus 'Baby Tut' as a background riparium plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishies_in_Philly View Post
hey devin, even though Renegade has this planned as a West African tank, don't you think a Lagenandra Thwaitessi would look cool in this setup?"
That's another plant that needs humid air to grow very well emersed. It would be better in a riparium with a closed top.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote