The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - CO2 system and different mixes for the aquarium??
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm not quite sure what the purpose of the pressure gauge and needle valve on a 2L pop bottle system would be...

In any case, using vinegar and baking soda will generate CO2, but it is uncontrollable. CO2 gas will just be generated, and I suppose with your product it "should be" controlled by the pressure gauge/needle valve. However, 2L bottles are not designed to hold a significant amount of pressure, so you may find that your bottles explode instead.

The yeast method consumes sugar and produces CO2 as a byproduct of metabolism, and this method generates CO2 more slowly, but also over a longer period of time (weeks versus instantaneously for vinegar/baking soda). Because of this, you do not need to put a pressure gauge/needle valve on it, thereby not stressing the pop bottles to enormous pressure.

I would avoid using the vinegar/baking soda method. If you want to avoid using DIY CO2 using yeast due to the smell/hassle/etc, then I would suggest you take a look into pressurized CO2 (take a look at the articles that I have written (linked in my signature) for more information).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote