The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Bunch of little snails in 2gallon tank?
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
neonstingray

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Bunch of little snails in 2gallon tank?

Hey guys,
I'm sorry if this is a noob question, and I did try a quick search but it's tough when I'm not sure what I'm dealing with....

So I'm not a planted tank guy. I'm a reef guy. Normally we buy snails for reef tanks. Snails are good. My gf wanted a betta, and I setup a little 2 gallon rimless tank for him with a deep blue nano-filter and fluval CF light. Our local fish store (legit reef and planted tank store) was moving their location, and when breaking down their planted display tank they gave us some bags of substrate dirt and some ground cover plants and some taller plants. We also bought 2 snails so the betta wouldn't be the only living thing in the tank. After a couple months the two larger snails died, but I started seeing little snails popping up all over. Their shell shape is different - more of a long conical shape, vs the old snails being rounder.

They seem to be multiplying and at any time I can easily count over a dozen without looking around. The substrate is about 1.5-2" deep, and the plants are growing well, and the fish is very healthy. Almost every day I put a dab of Flourish Excel in since I don't have a CO2 source.

Can someone tell me if this is normal or if I need to do something? I've read a couple threads so far on here with people talking about nuisance snails?

Thanks!
neonstingray is offline   Reply With Quote