The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - GH Booster - how to dissolve it
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 08:45 PM   #16
sowNreap
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

It's not the PH but GH that started dropping. Nevermind about the GH dropping. I just checked my log while typing this and saw it's been steady at 3 since I started checking it a couple months ago. Was a different tank that runs about 6-7. Oops. Guess that's why I started using GH booster 2x/week. What is a good number for GH? I thought I read about 6-7 was good. Or does it really matter as long as it's steady?

My KH does run only about 3 dkh but holding steady now for several weeks since I changed my substrate to STS. I don't add baking soda but do have oyster shell grit in the filter.

Actually my PH skyrocketed 2 weeks ago. It's usually been about 6.4-6.8 at most but it went up to 7.6. I was experimenting with doing water changes every 2 weeks instead of weekly. And just a couple days before that water change is when it tested so high. I'm still testing some things weekly until I get ferts, new substrate, water change routine, etc dialed in. Don't think the every 2 weeks water change schedule is going to work out .. nitrates build up to much and the PH rises a lot. FYI, I do NOT dose KNO3.

After my last water change a couple days ago I used an airtight container and shook the daylights out of it, then poured a little into the tank but the bulk directly into the HOB. Added some more water, shook hard again, repeated until only a few smaller chunks was left which ended up in the HOB. That method seemed to work really good. I guess the shaking is way more effected than my mashing and vigorous stirring. LOL

So everyone's input and suggestions were helpful and very much appreciated.
sowNreap is offline   Reply With Quote