The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Where do you get rocks?
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musclecar67 View Post
Aside from landscaping and garden centers, where do you go? I've been on the lookout for a long time. Why is it so hard to find "textured" stones like the ADA rocks? I know NJ has a vas amount of granite, sandstone and limestone but every piece I find near a river or at a landscaping center is rounded smooth or lacking that natural look ?Does anyone know what I'm talking about ?lol Thanks for reading
Considering I grew up in the same county, have you ever thought about hiking up in the Ramapo Mountains? - Ringwood has some really nice rocks that you can find up on and off the trails... There are some areas where the rivers\streams go over the rocks and you can get what you are looking for.

However they do have those lichen (spelling/green type of things growing on the rocks) - so you will need to scrub it off with a steel brush or something like that) and treat it. (Make sure you do all your checks to make sure it doesn't change your PH)

If you go along rivers, they will be round and polished almost. Streams are always fun, but I prefer trails (rocks seems to be a little more what you are looking for)
Drowki is offline   Reply With Quote