The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - 5.5 Gallon Dario Dario tank - Planted now! 11-4-12
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 02:41 AM   #21
theshadybird
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

Here I had the driftwood in. I never got a hold of a drill, so instead I used nylon thread to attach it and I'm not entirely sure how well that is going to work, but it functions for now.

For the substrate, I went with the quartz sand from Ace Hardware and some organic potting soil my school's farm makes so I know for sure it is 100% all natural. Bottom half of the substrate is 3 parts sand, 1 part soil, with an all sand cap. Hoping this will work in place of root tabs :]

8-30-12

Planted and being filled:

Filled first day:

And here it is now:
Trimmed the Banana plant because the pads were REALLY LONG. Also added the floaters. You can see the plants have stood up nicely, and AVN's flame moss is starting to bush up :]

Plant list:
Amazon Frogbit (there will be A LOT more of this, thank you acitydweller and HighDesert!)
Savlinia Natans (again, thanks acitydweller :] )
A few bits of Dwarf Water Lettuce
Hydrophila Corymbosa
Anubias Barteri 'Nana' (ty Layout420)
(what was laballed as) Echinodorus tenellus- Pygmy Chain Swords
Flame Moss (ty AVN :] )
Hygrophila Difformis- Water Wisteria
Egeria Densa- Anacharis
Amazon sword of some kind
A few stems of what I think is Creeping Jenny
Hornwort
Banana Plant
aaannnd.... Oh! A Pothos cutting hanging in the back.

Now I'm just waiting for it to cycle. The ammonia goes from 4ppm to .5ppm in less than 24 hours, but the Nitrite and Nitrate are still both sky high. I'm glad it's moving quickly though :]