The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - **DIY ADA Style 60p Stand meets Exotic Woods**
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 03:41 AM   #3
Sapherion
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Update - I managed to get off work early today.. so straight to the workshop to finish construction of the stand.. I fitted the concealed hinges then lined up the door and finally complete before the final sanding and oiling/buffing. Can anyone recommend a good finish?..
Enjoy!

Since this timber is called Blackheart Sassafras, I wanted to show the blackheart growth displayed in contrasting colours at the centre of the door, just as in nature where its grown from the centre of the tree.

Also, here is a sneak peek of the next cabinet's timber. Tasmanian Huon Pine.. more details to follow soon!

You can see the timber currently seasoning in my workshop on small wood racks to circulate air and acclimate temperature and moisture conditions. This Huon pine was milled from a 2000 yr old tree then air dried for over 40 years before being milled into boards you see below. The smell of Huon oil coming from this timber is amazing.. I wonder if it would make your living room smell like a bit of nature if it was made into furniture??

Here is a planed, dressed and sanded piece of Huon Pine ready for construction.

Notice the lovely grain on this timber

Cheers,

Saph.
Sapherion is offline   Reply With Quote