The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - General Chat - Talk about anything!
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #754
eeng168
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (99/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by acitydweller View Post
I had thought about this which had bropught me to the container store. Was thinking of making mixes and packing. Just pay for the containers with ferts being raok. Would this be ok with everyone?
I wouldn't suggest the ferts to be mixed. It might be a good idea and make it easier for the people who is just starting with dry ferts, but the proportions may be off.

I have a 50 gallon, but I also have to account for the water that are in the 2 Eheims I'm running. But nontheless, I'm still in the 40-60 gallon range. For this range, my schedule is :

Mon, Wed, and Fri - 1/2 tsp KNO3, 1/8 tsp KH2PO4, and 1/8 tsp K2SO4
Tues,Thurs,and Sat. -1/8 tsp CSM+B and as an option but I do it..1/8 of Iron.
Sunday is 50% water change.

So lets say you take a big container, add 2 1/2 tsp of KNO3 because you figure that is what goes in the tank for the whole week. Then you add the other 2 ferts and mix it. But, how can you be sure that the mix would be evenly mixed to the point that you are sure that your tank will get the correct amount of 1/2 tsp of KNO3 every other day?

I've heard some people who dose the whole week's worth in the beginning of the week but I would be to afraid to try that.

Also, as I watch the growth...I eventually have to adjust the ferts. My tank was having green algae on the glass...so I upped the dosage from 1/8 to 1/4 tsp of KH2PO4, and it has helped.
eeng168 is offline   Reply With Quote