The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Anyone here garden?
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2012, 04:31 PM   #23
dr.tran
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Even in NY you'll have bouts with fusarium wilt, early blight, late blight among many others. I couldn't get the pdf to open due to problems on my end but I've seen the studies before. If you garden long enough and talk to commercial farmers and small urban community farms you learn that it appears great under controlled conditions but in real world scenarios it fails miserably. If it were practical every farm would do it. And I know of none that do. At least here.

My season down here is opposite yours. In fact I have two seasons. I've got tomatoes, squash, cukes, corn, pole and bush beans down. Next month cold crops go in. Lettuces, Broccoli, radishes, carrots, etc. Come January it's time to start tomato seed again along with eggplant and peppers. etc.
There was so much info here and I was so sleepy that I missed some important points. Your absolutely right. Field studies are much more important than primarily studies. I have a study somewhere in JSTOR but I can't find it at work. However, I was actually over at sycamore farms and I talked to the owner about his amazing heirlooms. His tomato, Aunt Ruby was rated #1 in New York in the farmers market. I asked him about grafting and he said he tried to do it him self but they failed to graft and next year is using a company to get them grafted for him. But he did have about 20 plants that did graft and he said even though it was a small sample, it was overwhelming in what the plant produced. It was able to stand up to the outside conditions and had a much higher yield in both the early and late harvest. Maxifort is an extremely vigorous plant and I had suspect as much. But not just me or this farm, many people have people have had great success with grafting root stock for tomatoes. Places like North Carolina State University and the University of Maine have done field studies for years in terms of disease management.

Your harvest season's really cool. I'm so use to NYC climate that I can't even think of harvesting anything in the coming months. I envy you.

Quote:
With your small area what's the worst that can happen if you plant winter rye now? It grows for a spell and dies from snow? Turn the soil a little and plant it.

11 years later I am constantly fighting things. Early blight. Late blight. Blossom end rot. Caterpillars.
So you may not have them now. But you will.
Great point. I will buy some seeds now. I was just worried that it won't give it enough time for it to build the nitrogen fixing roots to enhance my soil.

And thanks for the advice. I will look into it. I don't have enough space for crop rotations but this square foot gardening sounds like a great alternative. I am almost done reading the book. I think I'll aim for that next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestems View Post
Here's my garden this year

Blackberries are an evasive plant here... I've been beating them back all season. If you need some, let me know. I can send you plenty. lol
Your garden is beautiful! Really I am envious. I am ashamed to post a picture of my garden.

And Yes! I think I will take you up in your offer. By any chance, do you know what variety of blackberries you have? Sorry I don't mean to be so picky, but since I don't have much space I really have to try to get the sweetest best blackberries to make up for my lack of space.

Quote:
Not only public urban gardens but also rooftop gardens.
While true, you guys are over estimating the amount of gardens we have. Its really only the nice neighborhoods that have that luxury. I live in a relativity nice area so I have more gardens here. About 1/3 of the people who live hear have backyards but less than a quarter actually have growing gardens. A lot of us here use container gardening since we don't have that much space. Roof top gardens are awesome and I visited this new rooftop farm in Brooklyn. I really wish I had the money and permission to take on such a project. But again its widely publicized but not as much as it might seem. The only area that I have seen that actually have a good concentration of rooftop gardens are in soho. They are wealthy enough to afford such commodities. Even with these rooftop bee hives, man I wish I could get one but NYC could only support so much and I its more common in certain areas. Most people that I know here do apartment gardening.

The point is that there shouldn't be enough contact between gardens for plant diseases to spread. But again, I will remain cautious

Quote:
Many people have the wrong idea about compost though. It's nutrient level is low compared to other types of fertilizer. It does however have more benefits than just the nutrients. I swear by it. It can be used to break up a clayey soil and to bind together a sandy one. (I still wonder about that sometimes though. I've dumped literally hundreds of pounds into my sand and can't tell much of a difference. I use the neighbors front end loader to dump it.)
Correct me if I am wrong, but is it more so about the organic matter in the compost that breaks down over time that releases the nutrients that the plants need rather than the immediate uptake of available nutrition? I'm just studying this field and I am more in the chasing hype phase than understanding it.

My 29 gal tank

blackworms culture methods
dr.tran is offline   Reply With Quote