The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - My 55 gallon adventure! Updated 12/4
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
fusiongt
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

To answer your question, the intake isn't really shrimp safe as baby shrimps can be extremely small. However, they might not swim that high up there as it's in the middle of the tank so a lot would survive. To make it extremely shrimp tank, you can just add a prefilter sponge on there (I'd avoid what everyone on the board seems to suggest in the fluval edge prefilters as those are too soft and will get clogged... I'd look for a harder type sponge, ones that aren't squishy but most plasticy).

That's a long ways away though Good start to your tank. The only thing I'd suggest is getting some more hungry plants in there - the ones you have are a bit slower so if there's some stemmed background plants you were going to add later, I'd just add them now.

You also seem to be high tech with low tech substrate... not something I'd recommend. Do yourself a favor early and consider getting some better substrate that has nutrients in it like ada aquasoil, flourite, eco-complete, or akadama (there's a lot more taiwan/japanese brands out there that I'm sure are great but I haven't tried them). If you're on a budget, the price of the substrate can be daunting but it's worth it in the long run. Also I'm not sure how deep your substrate is right now, but it looks shallow and you may want to make it deeper if you're going to have large stemmed plants in there. I feel like decorative gravel could look alright but it's just not a great place to house plants and you've gone to the trouble of adding c02 so you'll want a beautiful carpet of some type of plant and some stemmed background plants I imagine (otherwise ditch the c02 and go low tech).