The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - killing fish in the freezer?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #69
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
Dogfish are a species of shark!
In my case Dog-Fish are my hobbies/passions in life. I do private human training for people that own larger bred, dominate dogs.

Koehler method was developed to get dogs ready for military for battle. The mindset at that time toward the dogs was more medieval. There wasn't much concern administrate;y if they came home or not.

"However, there is no argument in the community that negative reinforcement is an effective and HARMLESS training tool if done correctly."

If by negative re-imforcement you mean Hanging a dog, using a Prong, Choker, Zapping it with an E-collar or shaking it then your quote that's just not completely true.

At best it's acceptable depending on the "community" of training one is involved in. Hunting, Schutzhund, Civil PP, Obedience Comp. maybe, Therapy, Service dogs, Agility, no...not so much.

Now if if you might mean Negitive re-enforcement via ignoring the dog holding back praise, ball or food yes I agree and I use that approach.

As far as "Old School" I learned that way 30 yrs ago. I reject those methods as I prefer the Sirus method and that's the style I train in. I want my dogs to "excute" commands because they want to not out of fear of punishment.

Just to bring it home I've owned Catahoulas that have high pointed in Open Bays, Am. Bulldog that was Civil PP trained, Rottweiler that is retired Schutzhund dog...All have gotten TDI certs, all championed in conformation.

I hunt myself and among other this have hunted hawgs in Tn. the traditional way. I do understand the challenges with working a pack. However, all animal training is ultimately Silmulus/Responce. It's really only a matter of which stimulus you choose to present to the dog.
DogFish is online now   Reply With Quote