Do these ferts sound about right? I do have some algae.
Started a new thread because i think i misdiagnosed the algae i have, and I've made a number of changes to my setup.
My goal is to keep a low to medium light tank with DIY CO2. I want the plants to look good, and since its a hobby, I like the maintenance aspect, so I donít mind trimming, tweaking, etc.
75G. Rena XP3 filter. Magnum HOT 250 filter. Gravel substrate. 34W T8 5000K 4 hr's/day + 68W T8 6500K 8 hrs/day. 2 Air bubblers running from lights out to 2 hours before lights on.
DIY CO2 currently with 4 x 2L bottles running, the oldest bottle changed each week. CO2 diffusion is via the inlet of the HOT filter which seems to do a fair job of chopping the bubbles up.
My spraybay from the XP3 is divided: 1 bar runs from the top left of the tank a cross its surface. The other runs along the back of the tank bottom, directed up and forward toward the front. Since its a big spraybar, with many holes, flow is gentle with gentle plant movement, and soft surface ripple.
A couple of bunches of Riccia, Java Fern, Java Moss Ė attached to rock/wood. Vals, Cabomba, Rotala, Crypt willissii, Amazon Sword, HC and some other plants I don't know the names.
Mostly corys and rainbowfish, and a few loaches, dwarf cichlids, rasboras. I think the point is that it is well stocked community tank. Possible slightly overstocked.
I have some BGA on my lower spray bar, and increasing stag horn (I think) on the Java Moss, fern, crypts and amazon sword. I'm trying to control with weekly trimming and normal daily dose of excel.
I've reduced the lighting period Oct 7th from 10 hrs per day to 8hrs, with one if the three banks on for 4 he's a day. I hope this helps control the algae.
50% WC weekly.
7.5mL Excel (actually the API CO2) daily.
7.5 mL Seachem Flourish Comprehensive 3 times week.
CSM+B 1/8t 3 times week.
Ca(NO3)2 1/4t 3 times week
KH2PO4 1/16t 3 times week
K2SO4 1/2t 3 times week
MgSO4 1t 3 times week
Osmocote root caps in vicinity of Vals, Crypts and Amazon Sword.
I realise that NO3's and PO4's may look as if I'm dosing too little but that's because NO3 testing shows I'm running high on nitrates 80ppm at the end of the week after 2 weeks dosing which included a 70% WC after week one. I suspect the nitrates (and by implication the phosphates) are high because of the high level of feeding because of the high stocking level.
Please tell me if something looks unbalanced with this setup.
Last edited by roland6543; 10-09-2012 at 12:45 PM..