Update from 9/16/12...
I installed the Fluval 106. Had to measure everything and cut the tubing. Looks okay... better than an HOB IMO.
Here are the goodies I picked up:
Added the first layer of Floramax with some decent sloping action:
Here's a pic with some experimental malaysian dw (still gonna go with a more subtle manzanita) and 3lbs of yamaya stones:
And lastly, I added in the Fluval Stratum, sand, and removed the dw.
On a side note... although the Fluval 106 intake/outflow pipes are okay and will have to do for now, the way they're looking is making me want to cough up some more dough for some glass lily pipes. Unfortunately, those will have to wait due to budget restraints..
I'll probably be working on suspending the light fixture soon.