The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Planted Tank “Under New Management”
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #71
styxx
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Send a message via AIM to styxx

Well I didn't mean to instigate any conflict, but I am worried about the proliferation of ads beyond the level of what we currently have, as I think that would constitute a distinct and undeniable disincentive to participate in TPT community. Ads turn me off and research shows that depending upon the frequency, duration, placement, and content, ads can turn off a wide variety of people for a wide variety of reasons. Thus, the avoid that and the consequentially predictable decrease in member activity and new member enrollment, I hope that this change in ownership does not presage a change in revenue strategies vis-a-vis advertisement on the forum. As an academic you'll forgive me for raising this point, but I feel compelled to do so, as I believe that a more informed membership, the more informed the debate and conversation about the future direction of TPT. As I pointed out earlier, I have relied on TPT and only TPT for a variety of reasons and no doubt, there are many members (and indeed non members) who fall into the same category. Perhaps Kyle or Momotaro or some of the other Admins could speak to this, but it would be interesting to know by survey or poll, how many TPT members are members of more than one forum or just this one alone. As I think that information would indeed affect discussions about the appropriateness of changes to the current advertisement scheme. I think people who are members of just this forum would be highly motivated to go elsewhere for their informational/community needs if changes were implemented.

@ Rainer,
I don't think that all ads can be blocked? If so, how? If all the ads can be blocked then this (happily) obviates my entire discussion.