The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - But is it made of... wood? A 13.3g rimless bowfront shrimp repository
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
jedimasterben
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/95%)
Default But is it made of... wood? A 13.3g rimless bowfront shrimp repository

Hey all. After having a planted 55g, then another planted 55g, and a 29g, and a 20 long, then changing a 55 to a reef, taking down tanks, adding more, taking more down, I finally am settling things out.

Display tank:
  • 24"x11"x11" 13.3g Mr. Aqua rimless bowfront
Lighting:
  • Custom LED, TBD
Substrate:
  • 2" Black Diamond blasting sand, 60/40 grit
Livestock
Fish:
  • Clown plecostomus
Inverts:
  • TBD (most likely orange neo shrimpies)
Plants:
  • Amazon sword
  • Microsword
  • Marimo moss balls

As far as lighting goes, I was thinking something along the lines of:
6x 2700k warm white Rebel ES
5x 440-445nm royal blue Rebel ES
2x 475nm cool blue Rebel ES
2x 660-670nm deep red Rebel ES
2x 410-420nm true violet Epistar

I don't want it to be too warm looking, hence the blues. Cool white and royal blue in a 1:1 ratio nets a 14,000K look, 1:2 neutral white to royal blue does the same, so I'm hoping a 1:1 ratio (essentially) of warm white to royal blue will equate to around 6-7000K, while also giving it enough red to keep red plants' color. Violet is for growth, hitting a pretty significant photosynthetic peak, and it gives colors a wicked glow, I'm betting the orange shrimp will look like someone took a highlighter to them.

The tank is up and running right now (took down a 26g bowfront and moved what was left over to this one), but looks horrendously cloudy, so no pics til it clears up. I've got filter floss packed in the HOB filter and have dosed Seachem Clarity to speed up the process, but it still hasn't cleared up in 24 hours. Meh.
My shrimp dance about and zoom all over the tank. Then their skins fall off!
jedimasterben is offline   Reply With Quote