Thread: Raccoons
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 04:38 PM   #22
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogFish View Post
If you're live trapping, the recommendation is a min. of 5mi. on the relocate site.

I'm across the street from a channel going into a small lake, I have a marsh 1/2 mile away on one side and an Crop fields (corn, soy, sorghum, winter wheat wheat) on the other side. I've relocated maybe a dozen raccoons and a few 'possums.

A temporary fix is Dog urine, have the dog 'mark' around the pond area. If you don't own a dog, most of us dog owners would be happy to help.
That won't work forever, just until they figure out there's no dog on duty.

Our Raccoon, Possum & Skunk populations are down as we now have too many Coyotes.
There's much more wisdom to this than most of us realize. I live in the heart of an oak forest. About 500 feet to the West is a large state forest. About 400 feet to the north a swamp that sits on a private hunting club. That hunting club shares a boundary with Bear Swamp Lodge. Pike County Pa is always in the top 3 counties during Pa. Bear season. Get the picture? In 23 years, we've had exactly 3 bears come within 1/4 mile of the house and two of those showed up the day after we moved in. In the right setting a very intelligent, protective, well-trained dog is a valuable member of the family. Doesn't do much for field mice and chipmunks though.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote