The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - my first vivarium
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Fishies_in_Philly
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenxes View Post
I love the new water feature! And the fogger, holy crap! Never even thought about doing a fogger.

Are frogs a lot of maintenance, have to use live feed? Anyway to establish a colony of crickets in here?
this is going to be my first time keeping frogs. always wanted to, so i did a buttload of research before i built this tank for them. from everyone i spoke with, they are no more maintenance than a fish tank. and yes, they eat live foods. either flightless fruit flies or crickets. some of the larger frogs will even go so far as to eating pinkies and baby mice. unfortunately, you can't just let a colony of crickets grow inside their enclosure for a few reasons first being is that they need to be fed supplements that they pass on to the frogs and that is only good for about a day. second, the frogs would probably eat themselves to death without having their food portioned. and lastly, the crickets can actually bite and kill some of the smaller thumbnail species of dart frogs. ok, so maybe they are a bit more complex than first expected....lol
Fishies_in_Philly is offline   Reply With Quote