Here's the first after pic. I still need to learn how to use my camera, but the pics are better than they were before.
After seeing how overgrown the tank was, you can see why it ended up taking me 3 days to get the tank back in shape. I pulled up almost all of the plants, trimmed them properly, and replanted the stems I found to be in good health. I cleaned the entire tank, including all of the plumbing intake/outflow pipes. The wood was scrubbed clean with a toothbrush. And I worked hard to clean up all the crud that was littering the substrate. Now the tank not only looks much better, but is much healthier for the plants and fish.