The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Predatory Scuds Hunting My Baby Shrimp?!
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #7
xenxes
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)

I think mine came from a LFS, I thought it was a baby shrimp... stupid me. They carry/hatch eggs much the same way shrimp do.

Their mating is interesting.. I saw quite a few of them attached (one on the other's back)

Quote:
The shrimp will mate several times per year. During this process the male carries the female on his back as they are swimming. The female carries about 50 fertilized eggs in her egg pouch and these are orange in color and show through her semi-transparent body. The young shrimp hatch within the egg pouch and emerge as fully developed young shrimp but microscopic in size. The young develop an exo-skeleton but molt this a number of times as they increase in size. Sometimes these discarded exo-skeletons can be seen floating on the lake surface. Since the shrimp have no natural defense mechanisms, except camouflage, they usually hide in the Chara weeds and are more active during periods of low sunlight or after dark.
xenxes is offline   Reply With Quote