The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Lighting an Aquarium with PAR instead of Watts
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #14
Steve001
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
CRI remains a bit mysterious to me. Recently I read that incandescent light gives a CRI of 100 - perfect. That was because the color rendering index is designed so that perfect color rendering is that of incandescent light. I doubt that anyone reading this wants an aquarium to look like it has incandescent bulbs lighting it.

My first tank, back in the 1950's had an incandescent light, which I quickly replaced with a DIY T12 fluorescent light. I was amazed by how much better it looked with the fluorescent light, even though T12 bulbs, all that were available then, were notorious for making people look like ghouls.
CRI is a complicate subject but worthy of aesthetic consideration. I feel the target light quality should bare a close semblance to *noon equator sunlight. Most people would probably agree since most people choose a light source of 6500k.
With all the phosphors available for use, I wonder why lighting techs don't design a flourescent light source that has a better semblance to noon sunlight at the equator ? Thereby creating a light source with good PAR/PUR and good CRI. Perhaps it's just too costly for a small market.
Bulbs that have good CRI >90 are:
Giesmann 6000k Midday
Eiko's 5500K ColorMaster Digital bulb
Alzo's 5600K video bulb

*It seem to be around 5800K.

Last edited by Steve001; 07-22-2012 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: x
Steve001 is offline   Reply With Quote