The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - My first planted aquarium Petco 6.6 Bookshelf Iwagumi (Full Tank Shot 09/27/2012)
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
SaltyNC
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Week 3 Flooded

I started trimming the dwarf hairgrass (e. parvula) this afternoon. That is so hard to do. You wait for weeks for it to grow and fill in, and when it is finally beginning to look good, you have to give it all a flat-top haircut. Well, you don't have to, but it causes it to send out new runners and new growth comes on more quickly that way. So, I picked up a cheap pair of hair trimming scissors for $4 from Target and did the deed.

I managed to capture in my fingers most cuts, and tweezered out some loose bits, but it quickly became apparent that it was going to be tough to collect all of the tiny loose hairgrass clippings, despite my best efforts to retain them. So, I decided to go ahead and flood the tank and just dip out the floating debris. I'll begin doing daily water changes and dosing Excel and will begin the EI method soon. Right now, Osmocote in the substrate is taking care of the nutrient needs.

So, here is Week 3 updated with the tank flooded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Week3July8-AquariumFilled.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	50485  

SaltyNC is offline   Reply With Quote