The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - bitFUUL's Tool Box of Plants- Emersed Growing, Wabi Kusa, Aquaponics, & Rimless Tanks
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
bitFUUL
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zefrik View Post
Very cool. I love emersed setups. How do you keep your plants from drying out without the lids and with fans? I would love to know as my emersed setups get very stale and mildew can start to grow because I keep the humidity so high.
I've actually got covers for the boxes. But for photos, I removed the tops.
The fan is to help evaporate water in hopes to keep the mold down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyNC View Post
Nice setup bitFUUL. It seems like a great way to go to be able to create a beautiful tank with full plants.

When it comes time to plant these in your tank, will you remove each plant by the roots, or will you transfer some of the medium they are growing in to your tank? I'm curious how the humidity control soil would work if it were transferred to the tank. Does that gel cause any problems?

Salty
When I remove plants from the emersed boxes and prep them for submersed growth, I rinse the plant/roots and remove all of the soil. As far as the humidity control soil, I am using a very small amount and wonder if it's doing anything at all. (no quantifiable proof)

[50g][30g][18g][12g][11.4g][7.5g][7.13g][5.5g][4.1g][3g] - [grow][pond]
bitFUUL is offline   Reply With Quote