View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 03:35 AM   #16
Gooberfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Gooberfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
If you want to put the Hypoestes in there I would recommend planting it on a trellis raft. I don't think it will root at all in a planter.

Vals or Sagittaria could be good for the underwater area, but I wouldn't grow them in the emersed portion. Vals can't really grow at all emersed and dwarf Sagittaria is a puny plant and not very full emersed.

Please look at that list of selections that I suggested for the riparium portion. Those are all real good ones and tested already. You will have much better luck using the tested plants that grow well in ripariums. If you don't you might not get much of a result at all.

Underwater-grown crypts will do just fine so long as they have some nice rhizome. You can expect much of the foliage to melt back if you plant them in riparium planters, but just give them some time and they will resprout with new emersed-adapted leaves. Be sure to use good root fertilization with crypts in planters. If you get potted crypts with lots of rhizomes all grown together you should tease the little divisions apart, trim the roots and plant several spread apart in each planter.

I apologize for not making myself more clear. The Dwarf Sag and vals will not be emersed. The plants I mentioned that I was planning on buying was for the submersed part of the riparium. The crypts and anubias may go under the water or above. Dwarf Sag, Vals and Java Fern will go submersed.
Gooberfish is offline   Reply With Quote