The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Fluval Edge 6 Gallon Planted Aquarium (First Attempt)
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
freeleo3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Fluval Edge 6 Gallon Planted Aquarium (First Attempt)

Hey all,

I've been lurking on these forums for a while and finally decided to join today to get some advice about starting a planted aquarium. I recently bought a Fluval Edge 6 gallon aquarium (the newer 18 LED light version) on sale. I'm planning on setting it up in a couple of months when I head back to college as a low-tech planted aquarium. I've been keeping fish for pretty much as long as I can remember, but this is going to be my first attempt at a planted aquarium, so I figured I should ask for some advice.

First, I was wondering about substrate. I've been considering just getting the 4 pound bag of Fluval plant stratum since it's relatively cheap and about the right size. However, I'm not sure if this is a good substrate or not. Also, should I cover the substrate with a small amount of gravel, or would it be better not to?

My current plan is to get some dwarf hair grass and HC, but I also really like sword plants. I know HC can be difficult to work with, but do you think it would be possible to grow it with just the light that comes with the Edge? And I'm open to suggestions on the sword plants. I'm not entirely sure which would be best for the tank.

Of course, there's also the matter of the fish I'd be keeping in the tank. I was thinking of getting just a single pair of German Blue Rams. I've kept them before (in larger tanks), and I feel like they would be alright in a 6 gallon aquarium if they were the only occupants. I'm well aware of the inch per gallon rule, and in my experience, they've only gotten to between 3 and 4 inches long, so I think it should work. However, I'm open to input about this.

Thanks for any help!
freeleo3 is offline   Reply With Quote