The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - LED choice 180 Gallon tank
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
felixn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default LED choice 180 Gallon tank

I could really use your expert guidance for the 180 gallon I am setting up. I will try to keep my initial post short.

Tank specs:
6'x2'x2' acrylic eurobraced with sump. See attached pic.

What I want in the fixture:

1.) RGB adjustability or a warmer spectrum with cooler led's on a separate channel from warmer ones so that I have some control

2.) I think 180W or so of CREE level LED's have more peak power as a fixture than I would actually need to reach my target of 50-100 PAR on the substrate. I would probably run lower PAR most of the time, but I want the ability to deliver that amount or more.

4.) The high end off the shelf fixtures that have these features that I could find seemed wasteful in the sense that I would never exploit their blue channels and hang them very high with tight optics at the edges.
(3 Sol white, 3 maxspect P, 2 ecotech radion, or 2 maxspect razor 10k)

The razor would have more wattage than I want to use, but uses the XPE led, which is a tiny bit worse in the efficiency dept compared to XPG/XML
(by the way unless you way underdrive the XML it is not more efficient than the XPG)

This would allow me to avoid most of the Razorz blue spectrum, but it also lacks RGB in any fashion. hopefully I could underdrive both channels to stay at a very efficient curve of those Xp-E LEDs?

5.) With all those doubts I started looking for a custom builder who could make me such a fixture. Any ideas? I contacted wingoled and he shot me an estimate. His choices seem great, but his pricepoint for the fixture built at $1750 exceeds a maxpspect- P 3 module setup with all the jazz.

Here is the proposition by wingoled:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...EFoNG4zUklyeXc

Can anyone here offer some guidance?

It looks like a custom build costs the same as the highest end shelf solutions and I cant say they would compare on looks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20120516_163735.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	47725  

felixn is offline   Reply With Quote