Ok so the solution I came up with the background paint which has actually been working for the last 4 days flawlessly is using window tint I had left over from a car project. This is doing much better than the 20 minutes it took for the paint to peel off.
Some of the Seriyu stones I had were too large so I ended up breaking them with a sledge hammer and a wood splitting wedge. Now after I did this the rock had really sharp edges. My solution to this was to tumble the rocks over night in a solution of sand and water… mostly water. This worked great to remove the dirt oxidation and sharp edges from the breaking.
I went from this
And then tumbled it to look like this
Here is the scape as she sits now with the tinted background. Still not completely set on the rock setup but we’ll see what happens.