The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - DIY Cree XML LED Lighting for 150G
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2012, 06:59 AM   #12
fizzout
Algae Grower

PTrader: (14/100%)

So, I finally had time to install the optics on my CREE XML LED build. Unfortunately, the LEDs that I got from LightMalls did not fit perfectly with the optics that I got from LEDGroupBuy. I had to modify the optics so that they would fit flat on the LED star. I resorted to a crude method of creating cut-outs on one side of the optics with the soldering iron to match the location of where I soldered the wires to the LED star. It was not hard, but the result is less than pretty.

Anyhow, I wanted to warn everyone that optics for XML are not readily interchangeable. However, the XML LEDs from LEDGroupBuy fit perfectly with the optics, as they had opposite side soldering pads that matched the optics.

Here is a close up of the modified optics.
Name:  IMG_1480 - Copy (640x550) (400x344).jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  102.6 KB

Here is the LED lights with all the optics installed. I'm making very slow progress, but progress none the less.
Name:  IMG_1479 (2)(400x344).jpg
Views: 3240
Size:  95.4 KB

Let me know if there is a better way to modify the optics, as I may have another project using the same LEDs and optics.

Thanks.

Last edited by fizzout; 06-02-2012 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Replace photo with smaller size
fizzout is offline   Reply With Quote