The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Wy Renegade's 30gal Paludarium
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #45
Wy Renegade
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceDragon View Post
Don't want to be a party pooper here, but I agree. Tiger salamanders are a type of mole salamander. Probably the reason they spent most of the time in the water for you is because the substrate you provided them was rocks. They had no where to dig or hide.

I used to have a pair and kept them in a 7 inch deep mix of coco fiber. They spent about 95% of the time underground for months on end. Not the most interesting pets...

At any rate I would suggest you try a "forest floor" type of terrarium with a thick substrate layer and see how they react to that.

Wiki quote "Adults are rarely seen in the open and often live in burrows that are usually 2 feet from the surface. Tiger salamanders are almost entirely terrestrial as adults, and usually only return to the water to breed."

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Am...tigrinum.shtml
Hey IceDragon, no problem. I'm fully aware of the fact that Tiger's are classed as a mole salamander, and that the issue with the current set-up is the rocks. From what I've read, not only in the article you linked above, but also this one http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/tiger_sal_101.shtml as well as the others I've linked throughout the thread, the terrestrail area I've provided is probably on the small side, but certainly is deep enough. As I stated above, we will see how things go - if there isn't enough room, then I'll move them into something different and put something else in here. While this set-up may not be perfect, its certainly a far cry better for them than what they are currently in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannaBrain View Post
I use this http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/florinmultit.php for dosing. In my large aquarium I plan to buffer with my tap water every 3rd water change or so, but the rest of my smaller tanks and paludariums with shrimp and snails, I'll probably try straight RO to see how plant growth goes with just dosing. I'd really love to try my hand at some carnivorous plants other than UG, so that's part of why I'm tryin to bring my pH down too. Anyways cheers!
CannaBrain very nice. Carnivorous plants are another of my interests that I haven't been able to fully pursue. My original bog paludarium was set up with the intention of keeping carnivorous plants in the wetland portion, but it didn't work out (perhaps because of the plants I tried), so it has become more of a native invertebrate bog at this point. The only thing I see wrong with your water plan is that what you are dosing provides the necessary elements for plants, but not necessarily animals. I assume that you are also planning on keeping some fish and other critters in those tanks? If so, you may want to try and find an additional supplement that meets the needs of the aquatic animals. If you're doing only plants on the other hand, then you should be good to go.
Wy Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote