The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Red chilli information
View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
schoolzoo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I had a couple of students clean our "new" tank last week, and I've sprayed the back. Now I'm onto planning and building the land part. I'll post a few pictures of where I'm at with things. I've talked to our art teacher and he is going to have a few students carve out and paint a tree type structure for our water inlet. It will go in one corner of the land part of the tank. The water return will be as a waterfall in the back corner of the water end. I plan on using a milk carton as the form for the expanding foam. Having a square corner to anchor with should make it easier. I'm also hoping that some art students can build the waterfall.
The little pots in the picture is what I'll plant in on the land end. The rest of the space I'm going to fill in with rocks and sand. I'm going to use the expanding foam on the frame that I built using the eggcrate. As the foam is setting I'll embed some larger rocks, aquarium gravel, and the pots. The foam is back, so if I miss some of it with rocks I won't have to paint it too.
I've ordered a couple of pots and rafts from hydrophyte- they should be in soon (I hope). I'll use these under the waterfall on the water end. I'm going to put a heater in under the false bottom. I'll use a submersible on and run its cord up inside the "tree".
Any suggestions for what I'm planning?

On another note - in the current crab tank we have a whole bunch of snails. They must have come in on the bamboo. Both crabs are loving the little log that I put in the tank. The digging and tunneling has stopped. I'll try to get a picture of them with it next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	072.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	45716  

Name:	073.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	45717