The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - My inexpensive CFL light solution
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #132
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpout View Post
I came up with the watt choices based on your tank and other's tanks on this thread. Since your posts didn't mention if your tank was high or low tech, your posts were the least helpful.
high, low...I don't think most people make a determination as to what is or isn't high or low tech because it's such an ambiguous definition. So am I high tech if I have CFLs, or MH, or do I need LEDs? Is it still low tech if I use CFLs and pressurized CO2? Am I high tech if I use a mineralized top soil and pressurized CO2 and MH lights? It's a worthless term in the end. Some people think Diana Walstad's no-maintenance-dirt tanks are the highest tech because they maintain themselves.

I think Az is learning here as we all are. I know his setup was "new" not too long before you joined the discussion. I don't think anyone is intentionally being vague or obtuse or trying to be cagey or otherwise unhelpful. Take the advice here as presented. This isn't a competition and we are hobbyists not professionals, aside from the notable exceptions. And not to sully Az's reputation which I have no intention of doing, but to illustrate how tanks can be fine one day and go south in a hurry: I inherited all his plants and fish when he moved. In my haste I didn't bleach dip those plants and I've been battling BBA ever since, and with a vengeance. It's a leaf here and leaf there now (after 2 months of daily futzing), but there you are. My allowing just one incidence pass without thinking through the consequences has cost me a whole lot of time and trouble....

Quote:
FWIW, my unbalanced, low tech, fish poo saturated, newbie tank had terrific algae growth w/ 3x23 watt CFLs at 2" above the water and 22" from the substrate on 10 hr timer....after a week of neglect. It looks nasty.
To be expected. To utilize that much light would require pressurized CO2, a disciplined and accurate, dialed-in dosing regimen, and probably daily wet hands to stay on top of growth and nuisances (like algae) that pop up. You're driving that Mustang with the nitrous wide open as your description indicates.

Quote:
I switched to 3x13 watts resting on the glass cover, on 10 hr/day. Dosing mucho Excel, added Osmo+ fertcicles. Multipule 50%PWCs. Algae is dieing and plants appear to be rebounding, except the vals, my sacrificial Excel lambs. Fish are well...Momma Krib is about to pop. The SAEs are loving the all you can eat buffet.
Osmocote + is really really easy to overdo. Just sayin... And in the long run, 13w CFLs will get you there just fine. Unless of course, you LIKE trimming and re-arranging plants every water change.

Cheers
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote