The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 PM   #314
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ach1Ll3sH33L View Post
Could you elaborate a bit more on this, i assume this is due to the fact that eco-complete is basically inert gravel? Reason i ask this, is i have a high tech tank set up with eco-complete, and the growth seems to be a bit sporadic to say the least. dosing e.i with weekly water changes for quite sometime and havnt been very satisfied with the results.

Also, and maybe i missed it, i would be interested on your techniques for setting a lighting schedule, and things you take into consideration when doing this. I have noticed in my own setups, that when i first plant a high light/c02 tank, i seem to get better results, meaning less algae, and more stability, with a shortened lighting period until the plants get rooted and begin to fill in, before increasing the lighting time, i assume this goes hand in hand with what you were previously saying, that plants don't take in as many nutrients until they are more established in the tank.

great thread btw!
my 2 cents:
try root tabs. if your are doing EI water column dosing, then you have no nutrient problems in the water column. but you may see better growth (particularly from well rooted plants) if you use root tabs. i like root medic, but there are others (i have used flourish root tabs as well, and they arent bad).
i assume you have pressurized CO2?