The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Frank's Planted Tank How-To Mini Novel - The Mini S Returns! New Layout
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2012, 06:42 PM   #191
Francis Xavier
Planted Tank Jedi

PTrader: (24/100%)

A Sneak Peak at The Next Tutorial Session

The aquarium is growing in great, and now we're about to bridge an important process of the aquarium: trimming. While it's still a week or two away, with the heretofore lack of algae and other things to cover extensively, it's a good opportunity to give you a brief overview of some techniques which may help you in your existing planted tank.

Trimming the ole' carpet

Once you've gotten a carpet up and running and to that picture perfect moment, it's gone in a flash. Why? Because your plants are growing! So in the long term, proper trimming techniques are the most important.

Each Plant has Different Trimming Requirements and Growth Rates

An important step in mastering mixed carpets is knowing how each individual plant responds to trimming, how quickly it grows and in what pattern it grows in.

So what you want to do is master at least one plant at a time and it's trimming technique, and as a result here is an older video I took trimming eleocharis acicularis to keep it: short, dense, and growing viral.

Trimming Eleocharis Acicularis

The proper tools: for trimming a carpet you want a pair of curved scissors to enable you to cut evenly across a wide surface. For this purpose, my favorite all around tool is the Wave Scissors type - as it allows to bend around rocks and hard to reach places due to it's shape. Aside from that, the good turn around is the Curved Type scissor which allows the same function across more open fields. This is the type I've used so far in the Mini M for the trimming of dead plants.

Technique: trim evenly as close to the root as possible with eleocharis acicularis. This will prompt fresh green growth that will appear as if it were 'sparkling,' (old leaves tend to be dark green, you always want to shoot for that "sparkling" green). If you have it, dose Green Gain to aid in the regrowth phase and help prevent algae.

I'll cover more in depth trimming techniques once this tank has gotten a little more mature, but for now, I hope this tidbit of information has been valuable for you for your current aquariums.

P.S. Feel free to continue asking questions! As Dollface answered earlier in this thread "some of the most valuable insights and techniques come from the questions of hobbyists."

Francis Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote