The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - UPDATE: IT'S FISH TB. ...Help me diagnose this disease that's killing my fish
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 02:01 AM   #99
FlyingShawn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unissuh View Post
Might just add a comment while you're on the topic of nitrifying bacteria - a recent paper suggests that the first step of nitrification may not be bacterially driven at all. Rather, the major ammonia oxidizers could actually be archaea. Expect bacterial products to change accordingly within the next few years I suppose...

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0023281
Very interesting, thanks for summarizing it for us! (I make no secret that I'm not a biologist, so I would have struggled to understand the article without going into it with the "gist" as you explained it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unissuh View Post
I'm not sure I'd be looking at nitrification cocktails though - looking at heterotrophic bacteria seems like a better idea. These would be more likely to directly compete with (heterotrophic) Myco than true autotrophic bacteria.
Just a point of clarification: we're not looking at nitrification cocktails in this discussion. Rather, we were using our limited knowledge of that field (that Dr. Tim's research identified the correct bacteria involved in the N-Cycle and Tropical Science are still marketing the incorrect/less-correct ones from the prior understanding) as a ruler by which to judge those companies' scientific credibility when comparing their non-N-Cycle "probiotic" products.

Granted, we still don't know much about what kind of probiotic bacteria these companies are marketing (aside from AquaMed, who claims it's a "specilized bacillus bacteria"), but we aren't specifically looking at nitrification products either.

Last edited by FlyingShawn; 03-06-2012 at 02:02 AM.. Reason: clarification
FlyingShawn is offline   Reply With Quote