The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - UPDATE: IT'S FISH TB. ...Help me diagnose this disease that's killing my fish
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #94
FlyingShawn
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Here is a pretty long article about using pro-biotics to reduce fish disease. The main focus is on farmed fish, since that is where the money is. However, the concept is valid on a small scale, too (aquariums), the question is where to find the small amount needed.

http://mmbr.asm.org/content/64/4/655.full

later...

OK. here is an example of this sort of product.

http://www.aquameds.com/medications/...ncentrate/faq/
Thanks for finding those articles!

After reading through those, I've spent the last couple hours looking for probiotic supplements along those lines. There are a lot of "beneficial bacteria" products out there, but it seems the vast majority of them are either focused on N-Cycle bacteria or on breaking down waste/mulm in the tank ("Liquid Gravel Vac", etc). However, I have found three that seem like they might be what I'm looking for:

The first is the liquid form of the Aqua MedZyme in your second link:
Aqua MedZyme Liquid
At ~$25 for a 16oz bottle, it sounds pricey, but considering it's supposedly enough to treat 48,000 gallons, I suspect it'll expire long before I run out of it. It's primarily designed for Koi environments, but I'm not aware of any reason why it wouldn't also work for a tropical freshwater tank.

The second is made by the "Dr Tim's" brand, which I believe is fairly reputable for their N-Cycle bacterial products (haven't tried them myself, but I seem to recall seeing that name in a positive light before):
Dr Tim's Aquatics Eco-Balance
A ~$14, 16oz bottle is "only" rated for 480 gallons (quite a difference from the stuff above), but it is specifically marketed for freshwater systems. However, I couldn't find any information the actual bacteria it contains or how many different types there are (according to your links, it's important to have a mix), so I don't know as much about it as I do the first stuff.

The third is this:
Tropical Science Immune-Plus
I've never heard of the brand and it gives no information regarding shelf life, so I suspect that it might not be as high-quality a product as the others. However, it does claim to have 5 different species of bacteria and is supposedly enough for 1700 gallons, so I figured I'd mention it even though I suspect the other two are better options.

I still think the "probiotic" idea is a brilliant strategy going forward (for all of my tanks, not just the quarantine), so I'm definitely going to pursue it. I just need to decide on which product to use for it. Thanks again!
FlyingShawn is online now   Reply With Quote