The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - Pressurized CO2...Just thought I'd share.
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #110
gmgq

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Anthony,

Google brought me to this thread. Thank you so much for the writeup!

I'm from the saltwater world, and I use CO2 for my calcium reactor. When I started out, I (naively) bought a setup with a Milwaukee MA957 CO2 regulator and a SMS122 pH controller. I don't remember the last time the setup worked properly over the last 5years.

But I'm reinvigorated, and I actually modified my calcium reactor to make it work better. My problem is the flow of CO2.

For one thing I'm pretty sure the low pressure gauage is busted, the needle never moves. But I've read that it doesnt matter?

Basically I plug the regulator into the wall and set the bubbles to 1bpm. It works fine. So then I plug it into my pH Controller. It continues to output 1bpm into my reactor. Once the pH in the reactor reaches 6.5, the controller shuts off the solenoid and the bubbles stop flowing. Then when the pH is higher than 6.5, the controller turns on the solenoid and the bubbles continue to flow around 1bpm. This goes on for about a day.

The next day when I check, when the controller turns on the solenoid, the bubbles are STREAMING out of the regulator! So much so that the excess CO2 is blasted back out of the 'intake' tubing of my reactor and into the tank (it's literally like if you take a straw and blow as hard as you can into a glass of water).

What is the reason behind this? It's as if pressure builds up while the solenoid is off, and when it's back on, the pressure releases and the CO2 spews out.

I'd hate to just throw this setup out and have to start new. Do you have any troubleshooting tips for me?

Thanks in advance.
Gary
gmgq is offline   Reply With Quote