I'm not actually feeding anything at the moment
but when I am feeding they get frozen bloodworms and live earthworms.
I don't use filters on any of my aquariums and don't really have issues with algae or bacteria in any of them. I think the issue with this one is the wood (and the fungus that grew on it) providing a source of food for the bacteria. I think once their food supply runs out the colony will crash.
I've stopped all the water changes for the moment to see if I can speed up the process a bit. The plants look fine - just worried they might not be getting enough light in all the murk.
Here are some pictures. I added a few more plants: some kind of Crypt that I bought at Petco (anyone know what type? I'm afraid I don't have any better shots of it), some microsword that was on sale, and an Anubias that I had in another tank. Since everything was already messed up, I also added some leaves that I'd been soaking for a few months. Just wanted to add fuel to the fire!
Right before the major murk outbreak:
At maximum murk, all the little specks on the glass are limpets and snails:
The above-water portion looks fine:
Taking pictures of this tank right now is like ghost photography. It sits right in our dining room and my husband says it's making him sick looking at it:
And bonus shots of my other dining room newt tank, a female Eastern newt laying an egg on my poor sword:
And begging for food: