The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - **Official TPT NIKON Pimp Club** Join us instead, Canon has cooties!
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #35
TickleMyElmo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith View Post
I'm just use to the 18-55 lens I have which I think is the mm of it. When you say 60mm or 90mm are those set and you can't zoom or am I completely missing it?

My manager snagged the same camera/lens I got in my kit but his also included a 55-200 (I believe) lens too with his kit (from Costco for only $200 more than what I paid I think). That would be a good macro lens right?

I haven't even dl any of the free software that you recommended in other threads. I guess I'll just check out that gimp tomorrow at work and see what it's like.

Do you have any input on taking HDR shots or could tell me how to do it? Some of the HDR shots I have seen look unbelievable.
The macro lenses are almost all fixed focal lengths, meaning the 60 is only a 60 and the 90 is only a 90mm lens. Reason being primes offer better image quality and with macro its a very high precision instrument to get you to 1:1 magnification, and a zoom can impede that.

The 55-200mm is a telephoto lens, but it is not a macro lens. A macro lens is not based off how far it zooms in (high mm) but instead is based on its ability to focus closely. The 55-200mm lens zooms out to 200mm, but it can not focus close enough to be a macro lens. Macro lenses come in all different lengths, from 60mm to 105mm to 200mm, but the high mm rating and macro magnification of 1:1(where objects the size of a cm become life size, or fill the frame of the picture) are not related.....its really confusing, but try to wrap your head around that one lol....Nikons word for Macro is Micro by the way, so any Micro lens is a macro lens. Anything without micro in the name, is not a macro lens...
TickleMyElmo is offline   Reply With Quote