So here is a little bit of a step by step of where I went with the rescape. After I moved the stock into a holding tank (plants, amanos and the last of the cories) I drained the tank and started digging out the substrate. After I got the bulk of it bagged, I refilled the tank a few times and vacuumed the remaining sand/substrate into buckets. Then I did some fine cleaning work with a magic eraser (awesome BTW), a razor and a little bit of vinegar/ lemon juice to clean off the carbonate stains. I flushed it one more time.
I took a break after that and got back to it the next day. I laid down a base of power sand special, then put down a shallow layer of ADA Amazonia multi.