The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - DIY CO2, how much water?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 07:25 PM   #9
iskandarreza
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daximus View Post
Don't take me to the bank on this, but...I think having more water would slow the process making it last longer. Not because of anything to do with the sugar or the yeast, but because what ultimately happens is that this process starts fermenting and creating alcohol. It is this rise in the amount of alcohol that kills off the yeast and stops your reaction. Therefore, I think more water might, maybe, slow this "burn out" process as the produced alcohol would take longer to rise to high levels when diluted with more water.

I have nothing to back this up. It's a theory.
I have rough data that I have collected since I started playing with DIY CO2, so far it matches your theory:

1 cup of sugar + 1l water + 5ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 16days peak

2 cups of sugar + 1l water + 5ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 21 days

1 cup of sugar + 1l water + 10ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 11days

2 cups of sugar + 1l water + 10ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 14days

New experiment

1 cup of sugar + 1l water + 5ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 16days
+ siphoned of most of the top still water, added back plain water = reaction restarted after 1 day and ran for 6days, 23 days total

2 cups of sugar + 1l water + 5ml yeast at 30C/80F ambient temperature = 21 days
+ siphoned of most of the top still water, added back plain water = restarted reaction after 4 hours, continued 10days so total of 31 days and still counting.

I have another experiment running where I have managed to isolate a slightly more alcohol resistant strain. I tasted the solution it produced, it was like soju.
The Fraternity of Dirt #55
Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

15 Gallon Dirt Tank Journal
iskandarreza is offline   Reply With Quote