The Planted Tank Forum - View Single Post - UPDATE: IT'S FISH TB. ...Help me diagnose this disease that's killing my fish
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 03:49 AM   #35
wkndracer
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (68/100%)

Dosing into my tanks a HOB method works if you have one. Place the meds behind a floss panel and the water flow will break it into solution in about 2 days. Getting the flu into solution and then into the water column is the biggest challenge of applying the treatment.

I settled on a combination of heat and alcohol after contact with Dr. Harrison.
Dosed dry the first time it took days for it to stop floating in the tank on the waters surface.

Alcohol (vodka) is mixed into the measured dose in a glass container. Only enough to make a paste or slurry out of the flu powder around 1ml more or less, just enough to wet it. Heating a cup of water to boiling in the microwave I wait until the boil settles then add the water in on top of the slurry. Some foaming occurs during the mixing but the majority of the material mixes very well doing this. The liquid is milky in the mixing cup and the tank becomes milky / cloudy but the dilution created by the tanks total volume seems to allow the chemicals to be absorbed into solution and remain suspended by all the evidence following a treatment. My tanks are clear the following morning. Fish have recovered every time I've used the treatment with the exception of two long infested adults. Those fish died with a bloody discharge seeping from the vent. Assuming to much internal damage due to long term exposure to the parasites is my belief. Those losses happened during initial treatment of my tanks when first learning about Flubendazole.

Many find the information being collected in my quarantine thread to be helpful. (this is posted there)
2-75g planted, 5-55g planted, 5-20g planted, 110g w/30g sump, 8-10g, Refugium, doghouse/newbie
2012 update adding table top pleco pans & a 90g (Nutz)

Last edited by wkndracer; 02-29-2012 at 02:11 PM..
wkndracer is offline   Reply With Quote